Meet the Vikings - Winter
The original Viking chieftain’s longhouse at Borg was built in about 500 AD and was inhabited until around 900 AD. Smell the tar that used to seal the timbers, feel the history inside the walls, and taste the food. The chieftain and lady of the house invite you to join them for an authentic and delicious Viking meal served with mead in the banquet hall. Experience the magic and excitement as the host Vikings make sacrifices to the Norse Gods, praying for good health, prosperity, a righteous death, and that the sun return to avert Ragnarok, the end of the world. Bridges were especially important sacrificial sites because they were seen as a threshold between the living and the dead. Viking settlements and burial sites were almost always close to water or connected by a bridge. After the Viking meal and sacrificial ceremony, we travel by coach to Svolvær and re-join the ship.
- Disembarking port: Stamsund
- Embarking port: Svolvær
- Southbound or Northbound: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 19:00 - 21:50
- Available period: 04 November - 03 April
- Transportation: Bus
- Meals on the trip: Dinner, mead
- Clothes/Footwear: Comfortable shoes, warm clothing
- Note: Not available 24.-26., 31.12 and 01.01. The stay at Lofotr is approx.1 hour. This can feel quite rushed but the excursion needs to meet the ship.